As an educator within the East Carolina University Community School, the teacher assistant will help support to cultivate a culture of innovation that supports effective instructional practices/strategies to promote student academic and personal success for all students in the school. The teacher assistant will work collaboratively with others to support the facilitation and implement innovative instruction to achieve the mission of the school. The teacher assistant will work collaboratively with the ECU Community School Principal and university faculty/staff to support the successful social-emotional, physical, and academic development of the students within the community school. Position is contingent upon available funding.
Responsibilities1. Positive School Culture—The Teacher Assistant will foster and engage in collaboration within the school and the broader community.—The Teacher Assistant will create/foster an atmosphere that inspires innovation in the learning process such that the needs of diverse students are met.—The Teacher Assistant will create/foster a culture that includes students and families such that they are involved and invested in the vision for the school and believe that their input is valued.—The Teacher Assistant will build the capacity of students to develop a mindset of inquiry and exploration.
2. Facilitation of Learning—The Teacher Assistant will collaborate with others within the ECU Community School to implement the Community School curriculum and achieve the mission of the school.—The Teacher Assistant will help facilitate innovative learning based on the needs of students through engaging in a variety of methods, strategies, learning environments, and student groupings.—The Teacher Assistant will be mindful of the non-academic issues that impact student learning and seek to connect students and their families with appropriate services embedded within the Community School's integrated network of partners who will provide service and support.—The Teacher Assistant will be receptive to hosting a variety of ECU faculty and students to assist with instruction.
3. Reflection on Practice—The Teacher Assistant will successfully function within a unique school setting that will include the implementation of innovative and non-traditional learning/methods.
4. Cultural Competence—The Teacher Assistant will acknowledge the importance of community to improve learning and achievement of all students by collaborating with families and other community members.—The Teacher Assistant will address to the diverse interests and needs of students and their families, and utilize community resources to demonstrate and promote ethical standards of democracy, equity, diversity, and excellence.—The Teacher Assistant will advocate for students and families to ensure equity.
5. Community Relations—The Teacher Assistant will support developing a strong school community to foster increased student academic success.—The Teacher Assistant will support ongoing communication with parents to ensure they are informed about their child's progress within the school and to ensure families are aware of school resources available for their child and their family.
6. Research—The Teacher Assistant will be receptive to visitors within her/his classroom for the purpose of instruction, assistance, research, and observation.—The Teacher Assistant is comfortable with being observed, video-taped, and interviewed.
Contingent upon availability of funds.
Special Instructions To Application:
Candidates must submit a: (1) letter of application describing academic background, specific skills and experiences relevant to the position, (2) cv/resume and (3) a list of three references, including contact information online at www.jobs.ecu.edu. Finally, copies of transcripts and three current letters of reference should be sent to Tracy Cole, Search Chair, ECU Community School, Mailstop: 504, College of Education, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858. Official transcripts required prior to written contract offer.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full time basis.
High School Diploma or equivalency and one year of teacher assistant experience; excellent oral and written communication skills; and evidence of skill in working with at risk student populations.
Full time or Part time: Full Time
Position Location (city): Greenville
Position Number: 500144
Organizational Unit Overview:
The East Carolina University Community School involves cross campus collaboration to provide the students a spectrum of support and services to comprehensively address their academic, social-emotional, physical, and family/community needs. The school will include one class per grade level for pre-kindergarten through 5th grade. The community school involves an integrated partnership with Pitt County Schools and will be housed within a local elementary school.