Position Vacancy – Per Diem, Special Education Itinerant Teacher (SEIT)
The Home and Community-Based Program provides SEIT services and Evaluations for children ages 3-5 with special needs. SEIT services are determined and educational goals are derived from the Individualized Education Program (IEP) developed by the NYC Department of Education (DOE) district Chairperson, the multidisciplinary team and/or evaluators.
The SEIT’s role is to work with children who require extra support in regular education settings, supporting them to become fully integrated into his or her school program. The objective of the SEIT is to have each child function independently in the classroom with the help of his or her regular classroom teachers.
- Plan and implement educational goals according to the IEP. Ensure ongoing communication and collaboration with parents and therapists regarding educational treatment of children. Attend IEP/team meetings as needed. Responsible for daily session notes and quarterly/annual progress reports. Collaborate with classroom teachers.
- Required tasks of a SEIT include doing case mandated hours/week, indirect case work, monthly paperwork and quarterly reports for CPSE/CSE, attend all DOE meetings, coordinate team meetings and paperwork from related service providers, and ongoing contact with family as needed.
- Must have a NYS Special Education certification or Students with Disabilities (Birth-2) certification
- Knowledge of and experience with DOE/CPSE/CSE regulations and methods of obtaining services for families
- Knowledge or experience with the aging out process and ongoing schools
- Knowledge or experience using assessment tools to determine eligibility for CPSE services
- Strong interpersonal skills for working with families and school personnel
- Strong organizational skills for keeping track of ongoing paperwork and required meetings
Start date: Immediately
Salary: $66-$71 depending on experience
If interested please contact:
Connections working at Bank Street College of Education
About Bank Street College of Education
The mission of Bank Street College is to improve the education of children and their teachers by applying to the educational process all available knowledge about learning and growth, and by connecting teaching and learning meaningfully to the outside world. In so doing, we seek to strengthen not only individuals, but the community as well, including family, school, and the larger society in which adults and children, in all their diversity, interact and learn. We see in education the opportunity to build a better society.