Location: Skokie, Illinois
Skokie, IL Category:
Casual Posted On:
Wed Nov 9 2022 Job Description:
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under supervision, in a support capacity, cooperate with and assist teachers to plan and implement a developmentally appropriate, anti-bias curriculum for classroom children. Maintain a professional relationship with children, families, students, faculty, staff, volunteers, and other community members.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in providing high-quality care and early education for young children in the Center by utilizing developmentally appropriate techniques.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of developmentally appropriate, anti-bias curriculum for children enrolled.
- Assist in developing and maintaining an appropriate physical and emotional environment by meeting the established standards of the Early Childhood Education profession.
- Assist in providing for the daily health and safety of children, academic students, volunteers, and other adults. This includes field trips, other Center activities, and any emergency situations.
- Assist in the on-going assessment of children.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with classroom families, co-workers, academic students, college faculty and staff, community volunteers, and visitors.
- Maintain the confidentiality of child, family, and academic student records.
- Participate in Center professional and marketing activities including: meetings, conferences, in-services, family events, recruitment and community outreach, e.g. Preschool Nights and Open Houses. Represent the ECE Program in the college and in the community-at-large.
- Assume alternate support duties and/or schedule as assigned by the Teachers or the Site Coordinator, and based on needs of the Center.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
General supervision is received from the Site Coordinator. Functional supervision is received from the Teachers.
Functional supervision may be given to practicum students, volunteers and student employees in the absence of the Teachers or at the discretion of the Site Coordinator. Job Requirements:
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Minimum twelve semester hours in Early Childhood Education is required
- One semester experience (minimum of 20 clock hours) in the classroom with preschool children is required.
- First Aid and CPR certification required.
- Foodservice Sanitation certification preferred.
- Effective written and oral communication.
- Interpersonal skill for effective interactions with children, families, co-workers, and program visitors.
- Emotional maturity and professionalism in interactions and communication with children, families, co-workers, supervisors, and program visitors.
Demonstrate physical ability to move from a sitting position to a standing position quickly; manage periods of walking, standing, sitting, bending, kneeling, or crawling; lift/move young children easily; reach an endangered or injured child swiftly. Additional Information:
Demonstrate visual ability to observe children and consistently scan the physical environment.
Demonstrate auditory ability to hear activity, interactions, and environmental sounds.
Schedule: Monday - Thursday 7:00am - 1:15pm 25 hours
Oakton is accessible by public transportation
Connections working at Oakton Community College
About Oakton Community College
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.