Under the direction of the teacher, the 1:1 aide will support the inclusion of a special needs child into an integrated classroom by implementing developmentally appropriate, child-centered curriculum which encourages learning through exploration and discovery and promotes the development of a positive self-image. The 1:1 aide will model positive social interactions and language. The 1:1 aide will implement positive class management techniques and strategies. All practices the 1:1 aide uses must be consistent with guidelines put forth by Bank Street College and the New York City Department of Health /Bureau of Day Care.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all children in the program with a focus on the special needs child to which the aide is assigned by providing close supervision during all activities.
- Assist in carrying out stimulating lesson plans promoting exploration, creativity, and discovery.
- Assist in preparing materials and maintaining a clean and safe classroom environment.
- Attend all therapy sessions which the child the aide is assigned to attend.
- Attend all required trainings, supervisory meetings and other professional development workshops.
- Work cooperatively with other teachers, therapists and administrators.
- Ensure that all Bank Street College and NYC Department of Health/Bureau of Day Care guidelines are followed.
- Other duties as assigned by Director.
- College degree in early childhood education preferred
- Experience working with special needs children preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
This position is $17 - $19/hour.
Bank Street College of Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, sex, gender identity or expression, religion, or disability in its employment policies and other college administered programs.
We appreciate your interest in employment at Bank Street College of Education. We would like to note that the College has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires all faculty and staff to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination.
Connections working at Bank Street College of Education
About Bank Street College of Education
The mission of Bank Street College is to improve the education of children and their teachers by applying to the educational process all available knowledge about learning and growth, and by connecting teaching and learning meaningfully to the outside world. In so doing, we seek to strengthen not only individuals, but the community as well, including family, school, and the larger society in which adults and children, in all their diversity, interact and learn. We see in education the opportunity to build a better society.